An Ultrasound is a scan that uses high frequency sound waves to demonstrate internal body structures. It is a commonly used to study the developing fetus, abdominal and pelvic organs, muscles and joints, the heart and blood vessels.
Ultrasound scans work by sending out high frequency sound waves and recording the reflected sound or ‘echoes’ to create an image.
Are Ultrasounds safe?
- Ultrasound is non-invasive diagnostic imaging procedure which provides information about internal organs.
- Ultrasound does not utilize ionizing radiation (as used in x-rays) and there are no known harmful effects on humans.
- Ultrasound examinations are performed by qualified sonographers.
- Consultant Radiologists report on all examinations and results will be available in Raheny Medical.
- We require a referral letter from your doctor requesting an ultrasound scan.
The range of ultrasound examinations provided includes:
Having an Ultrasound can be very exciting event and offers you a chance to see the development and growth of your baby fetus on it’s journey to birth. It is also a vital check to ensure that your growing baby is developing healthy and that you and your baby are doing well.